Purple Pressed Ass

A seldom-sober pseudonym takes on the totality.

Friday, April 15, 2005

Slyboots from Muskogee

My confederate Billy Silvermen advised me some time ago how fine Merle Haggard’s interviews are. To the singular Mr. Silvermen I say, Quite so!

Q: In the Vietnam era, you, or at least your songs, seemed more aligned with the more conservative folks.
A: Well, now, wait a minute. I open my shows by saying, "Good evening, friends and conservatives." Listen, I was raised in a family that voted for Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and he was a Democrat. My grandpa was a hard-nosed Republican, and he voted for Dewey when Truman ran. I'm Merle Haggard, and I believe in backing the commander-in-chief. I don't agree with him. There's a lot of things he did that I don't like and a lot of things he didn't do that I don't understand. But I'm not in a position to criticize, because I don't have all the facts. And they're certainly not going to give 'em to me.

More from Merle hereabouts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home